Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hurricane baking

Hurricane Irene is bearing down on us here in New England, and like many others I found myself facing probably imminent power outage with a fridge full of food, including a full carton of eggs.  We had bacon and eggs for breakfast, which left me with 8 to bake away.  After thoroughly reviewing the cookbooks for what would best use up what I have, I settled on:

Brownies (3 eggs, 1 stick of butter):
 My go-to brownie recipe calls for 3 ounces of unsweetened chocolate, but I only had 2, so I selected a different recipe that used 2 ounces unsweetened and 5 ounces semi-sweet.  They came out great.

Lime bundt cake with coconut glaze (4 eggs, 2 1/2 sticks of butter, 1/4 cup milk):
 The recipe, which was a variation, was for Lemon bundt cake.  But I had limes.  And frankly, limes are superior to lemons anyway so why shouldn't they get the glory?  I then selected the coconut glaze as the best match (after discovering I did in fact have coconut extract on hand).

I think this is the first time I've ever used my cake stand!

I still have one egg.  That'll be breakfast, assuming we haven't lost power before then.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha. I boiled all of my eggs last night. I totally should have made brownies. Your hurricane preparations turned out far tastier than mine :) Do you have the link to the brownie recipe? I could use a good one.

    ReplyDelete